19.8.11

Best Puzzle Type Games for this Generation

I love puzzle games. I was a Tetris queen as a youngster, not because I was great at it (I was ok), but because I loved playing the game. While my love for Tetris has died, my love for the Puzzle type game continued, and here are some of the best ones I've obsessed over the years:

Puzzle Fighter
This was my husband & my obsession for a few years, back in the glory heyday of Playstation 2. I can still hear the background music when I think about this, and the specific glory cries of each character (Sakura was my favorite!) This is a match game, good for 2 players.

It's pretty much in the tetris format where things are dropped down. Premise is simple: Create gems by combining colors together and when the swirly icon comes, it's the detonator and the bigger the gem you detonated, the bigger the shitload of gems to drop on your opponents side. The first one to have their screen fill up with gems loses.




Chuzzle
This one is a PC game, I believe, but it does work well on the iPhone. As my hubby loves puzzle games too, this was one we've wasted too much of each other's time trying to "beat" each other's score. Too bad it's not a game we can play with each other. We were just relegated to giving each other smack talk while the other one plays. (Or we both play on our own phones and see who gets the higher score. We are dorks, we know.)

You start with a screen full of chuzzles and you move the chuzzles in a grid, up-down, left-right, until you line up 3 or more in a row and they detonate. You keep going until it gets harder. As you pass levels, you will get "locked" chuzzles which will not allow you to move a row.  FYI,  if you run out of moves, you just wait for one of the Chuzzles to roll their eyes and AHA! there's the move I was missing. You die when you run out of moves.


Bejeweled Blitz
My Bejeweled Blitz obsession was not as long as the Chuzzle, but I did still find it very very addicting. I only downloaded it after months of hearing Sarah (of Sarah & Vinnie) talk about kicking ass on that game. My hubby did not quite get into this one, I'm not so sure why...I was all alone with my Bejeweled Blitz love.

If you ever played "Sweet Tooth" in the PC games, this is similar. Like, Chuzzle, you already start with a boardful of jewels. you "swap" the jewels until you make jewels 3 in a row. The more you pop, the more points you get. You die when you run out of moves. I have never reached high levels, I don't think I've locked all of it's secrets, but it's good clean puzzle fun.


Birzzle
You're like, Bir...what!!? Yes, it's a weird name, I think they're trying to go for Bird-puzzle? Haha, regardless of it's funny name, it's my new obsession with the iPad. They try to get you in by giving you the free "lite" version. I finished all 8 levels in one sitting and was wanting more. 

The premise of the puzzle is the same. Get three of the same birds in a row to get a power bird, which can have great powers later. The higher the level, the more variation of birds, etc. etc. I can tell this will be one of our go-to games as the kids love it too. 



Know of any other Puzzle type game I'm missing? I'd love to know!

No comments: