I made these cookies shortly after trying the cupcakes. Again, I was in my Giada phase, hence, all these Giada recipes.
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almonds
From Giada De Laurentiis (link to original recipe here)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Combine the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour, almonds, and chocolate chips. Stir until just mixed.
- Scoop out 1-inch balls of dough. Place on the cookie sheet. Bake until the tops look dry, about 18 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheets.
- Dust with powdered sugar and transfer to a serving plate
I didn't realize how expensive Pine nuts were! Giada's recipe calls out for pine nuts, but after a trip to Lucky and finding out a small bag is $5, I decided to use my leftover almonds instead. I thought, when pine nuts go one sale, then I'll try the recipe as it was designed.
I also didn't realize that this recipe didn't have an egg till I read one review mentioning this. The result is a cookie that's more like dry, more chalky. It's actually very good! My dad says it goes great with coffee. I loved dusting it with the powdered sugar, but I have not remade this recipe since I tried it a few months ago.
Overall, it was my first "successful" execution. It tasted good, an it was from scratch. I should definitely try this again.