14.7.09

True Blood - A review of the First 6 Episodes


So I burned through 6 episodes in the last few days and I have to take a moment before I forget all my thoughts.

I can truly say now how deep I am into this show. In the first six episodes, laughed, cried, been aghast, squirmed, squeaked, squealed. I've covered my eyes in horror. I've giggled in delight. I just love it when a show is that multi-faceted.

The Dream
The scene above is one of my favorites so far. It was the scene where Bill dreams that Sookie was being choked and it woke him up but because it was not quite sundown, he couldn't get to her. It was powerful. For one who had all these "powers" it was the one thing he couldn't do. The relief and love on his face when he did see she was okay was just too cute. Also, a few moments later with Bill & the Collie (who I'm assuming at this point is Sam) were just standing there was also a nice little scene.

Granny
Another big shocker was of course the scene that led to this in the first place. I knew I should've know it but I didn't - OK? I was going OMFG! OMFG! when the poor granny was on the floor. Come on, she was one of the cooler grannies on TV! Some people were commenting on Sookie's non-reaction, but I beg to differ that some people are like that - that she was just so in shock that she was more numb than anything (which was why the scene with her eating the last of the pie, alone, crying, was powerful to me. To me, that was most believable grieving moment I've seen in a long while).

Bill's Family
OMG - this broke my heart too. When the mayor showed him the picture of his family, I didn't get it at first. I thought that was him as a kid. Then when he was seeing his family on the porch, then later to the bitch who made him a vampire when he refused her advances, I really felt for him and now understood when almost broke down there in the meeting. And hmm..tears of blood?

The Squicky / Squeely
The opening scene of episode three, I don't know what to think. Sookie comes in to Bill's house to give him the contractor names when she finds herself in the midst of all these creepy vampires. It was scary. They were playing with her life and all you see if Bill in the corner chair not doing anything. What the fuck!! If you really loved her, wouldn't you have charged at the others the minute they laid their spooky hands on her? That's what Edward would've done! Then I realize that this is Alan Ball where no character is flawless. Bill wasn't going to be the perfect boyfriend. Bill is still a vampire and he still has his own life where he had these interactions as part of normal. And to think of that was when he was going to feed on Hep D boy right in front of Sookie!!! I didn't know what to think at first. My romantic side cried for him to "do something!!" but I wasn't going to get that. I did think the "She's mine" line to be incredibly hot.

Another sort of moment like this was in the car after Fangtasia wen they were almost going to kiss and the cop pulls them over and (grr!!) ruins the mood. I was getting all pissed that he had to do that. By that, I mean "show his power" to the cop. It ruined the mood! Again, there are a few theories but the one I buy is that he is not perfect and sometimes his ego supersedes romance. Hey, that sounds like human men!

The Supporting Cast
Lafayette - my favorite supporting member. The best part for him so far would be the AIDS Burger scene. Rednecks didn't want to eat the burger he cooked because he was gay and therefore had AIDS. His response - Wham! Bam! and ends it with, "Tip your waitress!" Hee.

Sam - He's weird too - and I don't know if it's the wolf-ness (again, just my theory, but if Twilight had a Jacob, we need a warewolf here too, no?) but he has this weird vibe. And what's up with sleeping with Tara? He reminds me of Felicity's Noel - anybody? A cross between Scott Foley & Colin Farrel. In any case, he is quite cute.

Tara - Sometimes, I think she's overacting with her reactions to Jason. It's SO obvious! But other times, like her interaction with her mom, I think it's so believable. So, there you go! And what's up with the casual sex with Sam?

Jason - I guess he's the prettiest, just not my type, I guess. But he did have a few stupid funny moments. The acting is superb though, he's pulling of dumb really well.

Finally
When I first saw Sam, I immediately liked him and thought for some reason he was the vampire. When Bill came in the bar, my first thought was, "ugh, he's not handsome!" but by the end of the second episode when we see the fantastic chemistry between Anna & Stephen, I was in love. Is it wrong that this is the second vampire character I've crushed on in a year?

...Wait!
I almost forgot to talk about the last scene in eppy 6. I'm not quite sure what to think yet. On the one hand, Sookie running towards Bill and Bill sensing her coming was definitly sorta hot. It was happening and you knew it. The kiss was great. He swooped her and carried her it. That was great. The sex in front of the fireplace...I'm guessing Bill didn't really have a room since he sleeps under the house. I loved that he was torn - he didn't want to hurt her, but...and...she's...all nodding...then....EEEKK!! Blood! Gah! Credits!!

No comments: