4.7.06

BNL's Just A Toy



I recently rediscovered the beauty of podcasting. In the morning when I breastfeed, I'm bored you know. I really just...sit there and wait for Josh to finish. When my morning show is over (or if it's a fake-live day), I turn on the BNL podcast. That's another thing, I just recently found out that they podcast!

Their podcast is great, not just because Ed is entertaining, but I actually learn a few things. I found out that one of my favorite songs, Just A Toy, is about. What if Pinocchio had an older brother? What if Gippetto was laboring over this puppet, telling him how he wanted to have a real boy, and he's laboring over him - but somehow time has past and lost interest in this puppet and set it aside. Later he made pinocchio - who became a real boy. This puppet with half a soul was left to languish. All he can do is watch his brother & father from the shelf, brewing and stewing.

First there was me, nothing but time
Till he came along, you told me you'd always be mine
Forever, ever mine
Look at his face, somewhat like mine
But look at his nose, you can always be sure that he's lying
Forever, ever mine

Better than him, worthy of you
Given the chance that he had, I know what I'd do
Forever, ever mine
I call him liar, you call him son
If I could move, I'd set him on fire and I'd run
Forever

Anyway, such a cool song. It's such a shame that BNL is kinda known for kooky songs like One Week when they actually are a good band. Check out this video for Call And Answer, another one of my favorite songs from them, sung beautifully by Steven Page at a Border's appearance.

No comments: