30.12.09

Novice Baker Adventure #3: Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almonds


I made these cookies shortly after trying the cupcakes. Again, I was in my Giada phase, hence, all these Giada recipes.


Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almonds
From Giada De Laurentiis (link to original recipe here)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
  2. Combine the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until creamy, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add the flour, almonds, and chocolate chips. Stir until just mixed.
  4. Scoop out 1-inch balls of dough. Place on the cookie sheet. Bake until the tops look dry, about 18 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheets.
  5. Dust with powdered sugar and transfer to a serving plate
My Thoughts:

I didn't realize how expensive Pine nuts were! Giada's recipe calls out for pine nuts, but after a trip to Lucky and finding out a small bag is $5, I decided to use my leftover almonds instead. I thought, when pine nuts go one sale, then I'll try the recipe as it was designed.

I also didn't realize that this recipe didn't have an egg till I read one review mentioning this. The result is a cookie that's more like dry, more chalky. It's actually very good! My dad says it goes great with coffee. I loved dusting it with the powdered sugar, but I have not remade this recipe since I tried it a few months ago.

Overall, it was my first "successful" execution. It tasted good, an it was from scratch. I should definitely try this again.

No comments: