21.12.09

Novice Baker Adventure #1: Cheddar Cheese Cupcake

Happy Holidays Everyone! It's been a while since I last posted - and it was all about vampires. Hah! Can't wait for next summer for True Blood to start back up!

Anyway, one of the ways I spent my time recuperating from TB withdrawal was to bake! (what??) So, I'm no baker. I'm no cook. I don't have any expertise in the kitchen whatsoever so please do not get baking tips from me. But, as a mom, I do want to try...

I think it all started when I had this craving for the cheese cupcake that I've had when I was a kid in Manila. I don't even remember what that bakery was - but it did have these cheese cupcakes. I didn't love them as a kid - but for some reason, I had this craving. So I search the internet high and low for a cheese cupcake recipe and the only promising recipe was from RecipeZaar from someone named Shygirl. Adapted recipe below:
Cheddar Cheese Cupcake
(adapted from Shygirl at RecipeZaar)

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
  • 8 ounces sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and orange extract.
  4. Pour in flour mixture in thirds adding 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk in between (beginning and ending with flour mixture.)
  5. Add in 1/2 cup shredded chedar and blend well.
  6. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
  7. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
  8. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.
My Thoughts:
I've made this recipe back in June and at least 3 times so it was pretty good although it's not perfect. The first iteration, I used Velveeta as per Shygirl's original recipe, but I found that I didn't like Velveeta all that much. So, instead, I've been trying to find the right cheese to substitute. I've tried Parmesan & Asiago - but they didn't holding up well after baking - and they get so crispy it was taking away from the moistness of the cake. So for now, I just doubled the cheddar amount.

The cake part turned out well and I actually like it. It's soft, fluffy - but I won't consider it "ultra moist". I brought this at one party - but didn't get any feedback, so aside from my review - I'm not really sure how this recipe stands.

No comments: